Our exclusive interview today finds us chatting with USA Today Best Selling Author and Kindle Scout winning author, Ann Omasta.
We sent Beth, our editor, along to meet Ann to talk about writing, Pirate’s Booty and snoring dogs. Here’s what happened:
I’m super happy to be meeting with the Ann Omasta today! Ann, thanks for taking the time to chat with me.
Hey Beth, it’s great to meet you.
Thank you so much for chatting with me today. I hope I’m not intruding on your typical work-day. What does a day in the life of Ann Omasta look like?
I just recently quit my day job to write full time, so I’m still figuring out my schedule. I do know that I tend to do my best writing in the morning, so I’ve been getting up, grabbing some hot tea and Pirate’s Booty, then sitting down to type until the words stop flowing.
Ohh, they’re kind of addictive.
Oh yes they are! I am a Pirate’s Booty addict. If I have a big bag of Booty and a constant supply of tea (hot or iced), I can write for hours. I do like having some type of background noise while I write, whether it be music or the television. The main reason for that is so I don’t hear my Newfies snoring.
So you’ve got Newfoundland dogs… they’re massive! Our West Highland terrier snores really loudly so I can imagine how noisy a large dog must be. Are they your writing buddies, keeping you company while you write?
My two Newfies are always by my side––usually snoring.
So what are they keeping you company to write at the minute?
Right now, I’m working to add to my sweetest series… Goofy Newfies. I’m always writing something. My goal is to start publishing a book every two months or so. The next installment will feature these gentle giants and add in some Itty Bitty Kitties.
Sounds awesome! It also sounds like you’ve got a series plan?
I’m both a plotter and a pantser. I usually have a basic outline of where the story is going, but sometimes the characters surprise me with a fun twist along the way. I write fast when I make the time for it. Life sometimes gets in the way, but I’m working on sticking with a writing schedule. Thankfully, I haven’t struggled with writer’s block yet.
That’s great. Writer’s block is the plague for anyone creative. Do you reward yourself when you complete a book or do you do anything special to celebrate?
I usually have some type of small prize for myself for completing a book. It could be anything from a new handbag to a special meal I’ve been craving.
I’ll be honest, I do have some handbag envy for that lovely bag you have with you today.
As a USA Today Best Seller and a Kindle Scout winner, do you have any advice for would-be writers?
Start writing. There’s a lot to learn, but you will figure it all out. The most important thing is to write, and then write some more! I don’t think there could be a much better feeling than getting a five-star review from someone who enjoyed one of the stories that has been rambling around in my head, demanding to get out.
Also, I try to stay off social media when I’m writing. Otherwise, it sucks me in, and I suddenly realize two hours have gone by.
What can you tell us about yourself that people may not know?
I have a list:
Ann’s Top Ten list of likes, dislikes, and oddities:
1. I despise whipped cream. There, I admitted it! Let the ridiculing begin.
2. Even though I have lived as far south as Key Largo, Florida, and as far north as Maine, I landed in the middle.
3. If I don’t make a conscious effort not to, I will drink nothing but tea morning, noon, and night. Hot tea, sweet tea, green tea––I love it all.
4. There doesn’t seem to be much in life that is better than coming home to a couple of big dogs who are overjoyed to see me. My other family members usually show significantly less enthusiasm about my return.
5. Singing in my bestest, loudest voice does not make my family put on their happy faces. This includes the big, loving dogs referenced above.
6. Yes, I am aware that bestest is not a word.
7. Dorothy was right. There’s no place like home.
8. All of the numerous bottles in my shower must be lined up with their labels facing out. It makes me feel a little like Julia Roberts’ mean husband from the movie Sleeping with the Enemy, but I can’t seem to control this particular quirk.
9. I love, love, love finding a great bargain!
10. Did I mention that I hate whipped cream?
I’ve got to say, Ann, that I’m a huge tea addict too, but I can’t believe you don’t like whipped cream!?
It makes my stomach churn to look at it, touch it, smell it, or even think about it. Great––now I’m thinking about it. Ick!
We’ll just have to agree to disagree then, ha ha.
By the way, I’d love to send a free copy of my novella, Aloha, Baby! to your readers. They just need to visit here to claim theirs.
That’s very generous, thank you! And thanks for meeting with me today, Ann. I’m sure our readers will love getting their hands on your free book!
About Ann Omasta:
Stay up-to-date on USA Today Best Selling Author and Kindle Scout winner, Ann Omasata’s new releases and insider info by liking / following Ann:
– On her Amazon Author Page
– On Facebook
– On Twitter
– On Goodreads
– On BookBub
– Or visit her site: AnnOmasta.com
– Grab your free copy of Aloha, Baby! here now!